Mossberg & Company Hiring: Pre-Media Technician
PURPOSE OF THE JOB: Electronically assembles page elements for output. They review the layout, text, and graphic images, build the file according to the layout, and prepare the files for output.
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: All employees of Mossberg & Company are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the Mossberg Core Values and Mission Statement at all times. She/he will help ensure customer satisfaction by adhering to a high standard of quality.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT TESTING: Vision, Matching Industrial Images, Basic Industrial Math, and Pre-Press Files/Project Assessment
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
All duties and requirements are essential job functions unless otherwise indicated.
ASSEMBLY OF PAGE ELEMENTS
1. Work with various customer supplied files and formats to assemble described type/style assembly
2. Manage file structures, work with required applications (i.e. Adobe Creative Suite)
3. Evaluate various file types to establish required reproduction parameters (i.e. file resolutions, color space)
4. Evaluate and properly RIP pages/files accurately; execute trapping and other job specific functions.
PREPARES FILES FOR IMAGING:
1. Preflight provided files for designated reproduction medium.
2. Evaluate the font structure, image resolution and identify proper color space of files.
3. Export PDF files from native applications as required for page(s)/job using pre-defined settings.
4. Deliver the page(s) to the Prinergy system for refine, trapping and imposition assignments.
5. Output prototype of project confirming size, color break, folding patter/layout using assigned equipment for each type of output required.
6. Review and quality check all elements of the output and provide a prototype of the finished project for review and approval.
TROUBLESHOOTS DOCUMENT PROBLEMS:
1. Review and identify non-conforming elements within the supplied documents, with font issues, graphic resolutions, overprint settings, color breaks, page structure, bleeds, folds, crossovers, and various other elements dependent on project type.
2. Evaluate and show appropriate understanding for trapping colors. Evaluate varnish affects and accurate file structure for alignment and registrations.
1. Department-wide equipment maintenance may be required in a team structure or assigned to an individual.
A. EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
1. 3-5 years’ of prepress experience in a commercial production printing environment preferred.
2. Experience with Kodak Prinergy workflows preferred.
3. Experience with graphics applications for prepress production: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat/Pitstop, Quark Xpress.
4. Experience with multi-color based projects from 1/C to 12/C, including special Varnish affects, Metallic inks, and other high-end quality demanding projects.
B. SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
1. Strong interpersonal communication skills
2. Mathematical aptitude to compute rate, ratio, and percentages. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measurement.
C. PROGRAMS USED
1. Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator)
2. Quark Xpress
3. Kodak Prinergy Flow (InSite, Color Flow, Rules-based Automation)
D. PHYSICAL/SENSORY/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL
Individuals may not pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or others. Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. The employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle and feel objects (computer and machinery); and talk or hear.
2. Frequently required to walk.
3. Required to stand; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
4. Routinely lifts and/or move up to 40 pounds.
5. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
6. Ability to sit for extended periods of time (2-4 hours) at a computer workstation handling a variety of supplied graphic files to be manipulated or structured for accurate reproduction to the specific output medium assigned.
7. Must be able to tolerate smelling of and breathing in chemical fumes.
E. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send cover letter and application to: firstname.lastname@example.org