Mossberg & Company
TITLE: Senior Accountant
|REPORTS TO: Director of Administration DIRECT REPORTS: None|
|STATUS: Full TimeCLASSIFICATION: Exempt||BACKS UP: See Below BACKED UP BY: Director of Administration|
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The primary responsibility of the controller is to prepare month-end closings, financial forecasts, and consolidations; providing financial advice to management and operations through the study of financial data. Duties also include meeting corporate reporting requirements; managing, training, and evaluating accounting personnel; ensuring accuracy of physical inventory; and controlling the purchase and flow of raw materials, tools, and other assets in the manufacturing department. In addition, the controller will be a primary liaison with our database management software company for use, training and troubleshooting. All employees of Mossberg & Company are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the Mossberg Core Values and Mission Statement at all times.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
All duties and requirements are essential job functions unless otherwise indicated.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Manage outsourced functions.
- With the Director of Administration, oversee and guide the operations of the accounting department, including the design of and training for an organizational structure adequate for achieving the company’s goals and objectives.
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable.
- Ensure that invoices are produced within corporate time requirements.
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Process payroll in a timely manner.
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed.
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Maintain an established system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements.
- Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Provide for a system of management cost reports.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Value high profile or high account value inventory.
- Investigate, reconcile and make adjustments to inventory raw materials, and finished goods.
- Promote inventory management with usage history, inventory turn and smart inventory management.
Database Management Liaison
- Direct contact with Printstream (or alternative MIS provider) personnel to learn, troubleshoot, and strategize our use of the database system.
- Work with IT Solutions Specialist to maintain current versions of software.
- Training lead for custom reporting modules.
- Attend/participate in workshops, seminars, etc., or research to maintain knowledge of “state-of-the-art” developments in accounting practices, inventory or software system knowledge.
- Take advantage of continuing education opportunities in all aspects of the job. (Product and technical knowledge, time management skills, etc.)
Back Up (directly or indirectly)
- Data Collection/Payroll Entry.
- Accounts Payable.
- Accounts Receivable.
- Director of Administration.
* May be asked to perform other duties as directed by the President or Director of Administration.
- EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- College degree in Accounting, or Finance.
- One (1) to Three (3) years of Accounting experience.
- Product based experience preferred as opposed to service industry.
- Print industry experience preferred.
- Must have experience in working directly with customers/clients/vendors.
- SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be detail oriented and organized
- Must be self-starter.
- Must be able to work on multiple high-profile projects at one time.
- Business acumen and basic financial skills
- Understanding of the extended printing and production process a plus.
- Must possess intermediate level of proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, PowerPoint, and contact management software.
- Must be able to communicate clearly – orally and in writing – with internal staff and external people (customers, general public, vendors, etc.).
- Must possess solid problem solving skills.
- Must possess ability to calculate figures and amounts such as margins, discounts, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume.
- EQUIPMENT USED
- General office equipment
- PHYSICAL/SENSORY/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL
Individuals may not pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or others. Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without the use of prosthetic devices and/or reasonable accommodation.
- The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects (computer and machinery); and talk or hear.
- Frequently required to walk.
- Required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to sit and use computer 2-4 hours per day.
- Must be able to travel regionally and on occasions to other states.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Some business travel will be required for this position.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may be required to perform other work-related tasks as assigned or requested by management. The job description is simply a communication tool and is subject to change as the needs prevail. This document is not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment.
Please contact Donita Zapata for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org